Why a costume closet?

When I was a little girl my sisters and I would play dress up and put on shows for our parents. Later on in high school, I would sit in our theatre departments costume closet redesigning the costumes I found there. A costume closet is about reaching for your dreams.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My Writer's Block Cure

I had one of those “Ok God I really am listening” moments Sunday night that I wanted to share with you. 
I just started World Religious Traditions at the University of Phoenix and I had a 700-1000 word paper due on the elements of religious traditions.  For the entire week I had read the required chapters from the textbook but every time I sat down to write the paper I would get massive writer’s block.  I mean the kind where I couldn’t even write my own name writer’s block.  It was bad.  As the paper due date drew closer and I became more panicked and I prayed harder but nothing worked.  I sat at my computer with the text book open and stared at the blank page before me with no thoughts coming to my head.  It was so frustrating. 
Sunday came with only 24 hours left before my paper was due and I again fell to my knees in prayer.  I was begging, pleading for my writer’s block to be lifted.  I admit that as I sat at my computer afterwards despair hit me.  I didn’t want to fail but I resigned myself to that fate and instead turned to my scriptures.
I don’t know if my words can truly describe what happened next.  All I can say is that it was amazing.  It felt like stepping into a warm shower.  I could literally feel the writer’s block wash away from me and words and ideas for my paper flowed into my mind.  There were times when I couldn’t type fast enough to keep up with the words.  Earlier that week I worried about not making the 700 word minimum but now I was needing to cut words out to keep it under the 1000 word limit.
When I finished I sat back from my computer in wonderment and was taught a great lesson.  God said to me, “You can’t have a study of religions without including the scriptures for they are my textbook.”  Although my professor may disagree I realized that this class is not meant to be a mere academic study of religion but a spiritual study of religion with the Holy Ghost as my tutor.  I may not get an “A” in the class but in the eternal grade book I hope I will pass with flying colors.

2 comments:

  1. Love your thoughts...thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a beautiful message and very well written!

    ReplyDelete