Why a costume closet?

When I was a little girl my sisters and I would play dress up and put on shows for our parents. Later on in high school, I would sit in our theatre departments costume closet redesigning the costumes I found there. A costume closet is about reaching for your dreams.

Friday, August 17, 2012

Is it Time Yet?

It’s that time of year again when the leaves start turning yellow and orange, the pumpkins are ready to pick, and the crisp cool evenings remind you to focus on Halloween costumes.

Oh…wait…that’s not right.

It’s still August with 100 degree temperatures but for me it is time to focus on Halloween costumes.  Actually, I’m running slightly behind this year.  I usually have the costumes planned out and started by now. 

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and I enjoy preparing for it by sewing costumes. These are some of the many I’ve made throughout the years.
Halloween 2007
 Halloween 2007

I start out a new project by deciding what kind of costume to do, whether it’s going to be based on a movie or time period.
 Halloween 2008

 
I spend a lot of time on researching the costume I’ve chosen.  If I’ve decided to do a period piece I like to make it as authentic as I can.  If I’m doing an outfit based on a movie character I pay attention to the details in the movie.
 Halloween 2011

The greatest part of the process is the visit to the fabric store.  I look for fabrics that will be close to what I want for the costume as well as not break my small bank account.


Halloween 2011

This year’s project will be an outfit from the Regency years of 1790 – 1820, also known as the Jane Austen era.  I will share pictures as I complete the costume.

There is a joy and delight I find in designing and creating these costumes.  This may explain why I named my blog Rachel’s Costumes Closet.  Although I don’t want the focus of this blog to be about costume, I did want to share with you a passion of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment